Welcome to the first installment of a new Gateway series seeking to recognize institutions whose innovative strategies are advancing new directions in international learning and engagement. This first installment features Baylor University and how they have leveraged international education toward achieving R1 status.
Gateway would like to congratulate Baylor University for recently attaining Research 1 (R1) status! In addition to joining the ranks of 145 other prestigious institutions that earned this designation, Baylor became one of 37 private R1 institutions and one of only six faith-based R1 institutions.
To obtain R1 status, institutions like Baylor must have very high doctoral research activity and meet several benchmarks measured by the Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. Three notable factors appear central to Baylor’s success:
- Dedicated Faculty. Baylor’s faculty appear to be especially committed to innovative research and student mentorship. They take pride in advancing their students’ knowledge through experiential learning, while also working toward their mission to develop tomorrow’s leaders. From leveraging endowed faculty for driving science and innovation to harnessing next generation international programming, Baylor is raising the bar with their groundbreaking leadership.
- Solutions Orientation. Four pillars are foundational to Illuminate, Baylor’s Strategic Plan.
- Christian Environment. As a Protestant Christian university, faith is one of the driving forces in everything Baylor does.
- Transformational Education. Baylor’s holistic approach to education transforms their students through knowledge acquisition, research, service, and religious exploration.
- Research and Scholarship. Baylor values research and is committed to their students’ academic achievements.
- Arts and Athletics. With nationally recognized arts and athletic programs, Baylor is helping students excel beyond the classroom.
- International Engagement. Baylor is revolutionizing international learning and engagement by leveraging an array of educational modalities to enable their students, even those unable to travel abroad, to meaningfully explore the international dimensions of their chosen disciplines and develop intercultural competencies needed for the future. Among them, Collaborative Online International Learning, or COIL, enables professors and students to engage in virtual experiences with institutions around the world, offering opportunities for intercultural dialogue, research, and global skills development.
Baylor also recently incorporated Global Tech programming in partnership with Podium Education. Through Global Tech, Baylor students can participate in virtual learning opportunities with leading organizations around the world while developing in-demand skills that will prepare them for the workforce. With the rapid growth of tech jobs and the demand for technical and intercultural skills, Baylor students will certainly have a career advantage.
While many of us were already aware of Baylor’s global reputation and standing, their recent R1 designation further validates their work. Being recognized for doing top-tier research creates more visibility by attracting students and faculty worldwide and increases the likelihood of receiving more resources. We anticipate more world-class faculty, higher graduate student enrollment, increased funding, and technological resources for Baylor, which will likely lead to more cutting-edge research that tackles some of today’s most challenging issues.